ALEXANDER JAMIESON PAINTINGS FOR SALE & BIOGRAPHY
Alexander Jamieson was born in Glasgow and trained at the Haldane Academy (Glasgow School of Art) in the 1890s. In 1898 Jamieson won a scholarship for further artistic training in Paris where his style came under the influence of the Impressionists. In Paris, he met the painter Gertrude Macdonald and they married in 1907 and first settled in a studio in South Kensington. Jamieson became a regular exhibitor at the New England Art Club, the Royal Academy, the Royal Institute, and the Royal Scottish Academy. A one-man show was held for him at the Carfax Gallery in London in 1912 and his work was also shown by the Goupil Gallery and the International Society.
Jamieson served with great distinction in Field Marshall Lord Kitchener’s “New Army” during the Great War and moved with his wife to the Vale of Aylesbury after the war where he continued to paint. An article on Jamieson by James Bolivar Manson appeared in The Studio magazine in 1910.
Musée d’Orsay, Paris
National Army Museum, London
Tate Britain, London
Buckinghamshire County Museum, Aylesbury
Newport Museum and Art Gallery, Newport
The Ashmolean Museum of Art & Archaeology, Oxford
Victoria and Albert Museum, London
Bury Art Museum, Bury
Harris Museum and Art Gallery, Preston
Glasgow Museums Resource Centre, Glasgow
Salford Museum and Art Gallery, Salford