HERBERT B. TSCHUDY PAINTINGS FOR SALE & BIOGRAPHY
HERBERT B. TSCHUDY
“Landscape and animal painter, scientific illustrator, art teacher, and museum curator, born December 28, 1874, in Plattsburg (Clark). Of Swiss ancestry, he was a son of Bolivar Judy, a carriage maker, and began spelling his name “Tschudy” only after his father’s death in 1899. He attended Antioch College, Yellow Springs (Greene), in the early 1890s, then earned an architecture degree at the University of Illinois in 1895, returning to Antioch in 1895–96 as a drawing instructor. After a short stay in Springfield (Clark), he studied at the Art Students League, New York, in 1898 and 1899, then became a staff artist at the Brooklyn Museum, where he was made curator of paintings and sculpture in 1923. Durign the 1920s and 1930s, he painted a great deal in the Southwest, particularly in New Mexico and Arizona. He retired from the Brooklyn Museum in 1937 and died in New York City, April 15, 1946” (Haverstock, Mary Sayre, et al., Artists in Ohio, 1787–1900: A Biographical Dictionary, Kent: Kent State University Press, 2000).
Brooklyn Museum, Brooklyn, NY